top of page

Applying for a student visa? We can help!

Updated: Jun 28, 2022

Studying at a world-class university is no less than a dream. Right? Australia is the most desirable country for people who want to live and work abroad. No wonder they say the options are endless!

But first things first, a visa. If you want to study in Australia, you must first obtain an Australian visa, which permits you to enter the nation lawfully. People who get an Australian visa can live and work in Australia and enjoy the same benefits as an Australian.

It is a fantastic chance to immerse yourself in the distinctive Australian culture while also obtaining valuable new skills. In addition, obtaining a student visa in Australia is easier than in other nations.

Wonder when is the right time to apply for your student visa?

The window for applying for an Australian student visa opens 124 days before the commencement of your course. You should begin applying for your visa as soon as you receive your university's CoE (Confirmation of Enrolment) letter. In fact, you will receive your visa on time and well ahead of your scheduled trip if you apply early.

You'll also have more time to deal with any issues that arise during the application process. And whenever in doubt, get assistance from an educational consultant agency a.k.a. Lotus Migration and Education Consultants.

Types of visas available

For now, there are eight subclasses in the Australian student visa system:

• Independent ELICOS Visa (Subclass 570): This visa is for international students in Australia planning to attend an English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students in Australia (ELICOS). If ELICOS is required as a prerequisite for another course, the student must apply under the subclass that corresponds to the main course.

• Schools Sector Visa (Subclass 571): For children studying at a primary or secondary school in Australia. This visa is for overseas students who wish to stay in Australia and pursue full-time education.

• Vocational Education and Training Sector Visa (subclass 572): This visa is for students who want a degree for full-time vocational education and training courses in Australia, such as a Certificate I, II, III, or IV, Diploma, or Advanced Diploma.

• Higher Education Sector Visa (Subclass 573): This visa is for international students who desire to study a full-time higher education course in Australia, including a bachelor's degree, graduate certificate, or graduate diploma.

• Postgraduate Research Sector Visa (Subclass 574): This visa is for international students interested in pursuing a research-based Masters or Doctoral degree in Australia.

• Non-Award Sector visa (Subclass 575): This visa is for international students studying in Australia for a non-award foundation programme or some other full-time course that does not result in an Australian certification.

• Foreign Affairs or Defence Sector Visa (Subclass 576): For international students who are financed by the Australian Departments of Foreign Relations, Trade, and Defence for any course or degree.

• Student Guardian Visa (Subclass 580): This visa is especially for the parents and guardians of international students under 18 studying in Australia. It may be issued to guardians of students above 18 in specified circumstances.

But there is an exception almost everywhere. For example, you can obtain a tourist visa if you participate in a short-term course that lasts no more than 12 weeks. Or you can study for up to 16 weeks if you have a Working Holiday visa.

Since the process is different for more extended programs or university courses, here are the following steps:

1) Get a CoE by applying to a school in Australia.

You must apply and get selected by an Australian school before applying for a student visa to Australia. The university will issue you a CoE, or Confirmation of Enrolment, when you have received an offer letter from them, accepted an offer in writing, and submitted their tuition fee. To start your visa application, you'll need this document first.

2) Make a profile with the Australian Immigration Department.

For Australian visas, you usually apply online these days. The process requires basic details like your name, phone number and e-mail ID. And after that, you must create a password and agree to their terms.

3) Ensure necessary documentation is saved in digital format.

The process will be incomplete if you do not have sufficient papers, and you will be denied entry into the country for even educational purposes.

To apply for a student visa, you'll need your CoE, an OSHC health insurance card, your passport, and proof of temporary stay, which you can back up with proof of employment or any other documentation for that matter.

And apart from that, some common documents include a birth certificate, evidence that you can fund your education, including a bank statement, evidence that you have sufficient knowledge to pass your desired course, proof of employment history, and documentation of any criminal offences if any.

4) Fill out the online visa application.

Based on your study, you should apply for the appropriate student visa. The application must be submitted at least 124 days before the start of your course, according to the date on your CoE. All you have to do now is fill out the form with the necessary details.

5) Pay the visa cost and receive a Transaction Reference Number.

You must pay the application cost once you have completed the application. You will receive a receipt with a TRN number once the application and payment have been completed. Please make a copy of it to track the progress of your application.

6) Mandatory health check-ups and interview

Depending on where you plan to study and live, you may also be required to undergo a health examination, plus a visa interview. Remember the health check-up cannot be done until you've finished the application because you'll need your TRN number and information on your required health check-up.

7) Time to get the visa

The time taken to receive a visa is determined by the place and how busy the Australian immigration offices are in that location. When your visa result is out, the Australian authorities will usually send you an e-mail confirming the same.

Since your visa is electronic, you can print the grant letter you receive online after accepting your visa if you desire a hard copy.

8) Bid adieu already!

If you have secured your visa, you can enter Australia 90 days before the course start date written on your CoE. Typically, your visa will state how long you can stay in Australia after completing your course. Make sure you follow it.

No more uncertainty; it's time to make your dreams a reality!

In case of queries, it’s always wise to get in touch with an educational consultant agency. Securing a student visa for Australia is not difficult, but it becomes a lot easier with the right career guidance consultants and timing. And why should you be worried when Lotus Migration and Education Consultants have got your back?

Our education consultants are pleased to guide you through the visa application process and advise you on the necessary papers and evidence to submit for your application to be processed correctly and on time.

Furthermore, our advisers and education consultants will provide you with all the information required to enable a smooth transition from your native nation to another country. With their wide experience, Australian student visa consultants will guide you along your educational path.

What are you waiting for? You’re just eight steps away from your dream university!

35 views0 comments


bottom of page